No Reserves - No Retreats - No Regrets

Monday, December 10, 2007

Thanks a lot Jill...


"Wherever you are, be all there. Live to the hilt every situation you believe to be the will of God for you." -Jim Elliot

Recently Jill wrote this quote on her blog after seeing it on someone else's, and after reading it myself I couldn't get it out of my mind. I've been so confused and "distressed" about what to do with my life, where to go, when to go, if I should go... I have so many questions running through my mind, so many thoughts, I don't know what to do with them all. But this quote, along with what Jill said, really got me thinking.

I've been focusing so much on the future, that I've completely lost sight of where I am right now. Sure I can be/should be looking into some options for my future, but I can't let it consume me. There is so much I can be doing RIGHT HERE, and RIGHT NOW for Christ while I wait for Him to lead me. Some verses that came to mind as I was thinking about this are:

Psalm 37:7 (Amplified Bible)
Be still and rest in the Lord; wait for Him and patiently lean yourself upon Him.

John 10:10b (New International Version)
I[Christ] have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.


Romans 12:11 (New Living Translation)
Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically.

Just because I have no idea what my future is going to look like, doesn't mean that I can't be serving God enthusiastically while I patiently wait. I'm tired of wasting my life by doing nothing to grow and serve right where I am.

From now on my goal is to strive to be "all there", wherever I am. I want to live life with adandon*, trusting God to lead me on.

*Abandon (n)
1. the trait of lacking restraint or control; reckless freedom from inhibition or worry.
2. a feeling of extreme emotional intensity.


So really Jill, thanks for kicking me in the butt, and being an example of "living to the hilt every situation".
(though I don't think I'll follow your example as far as giving up so much electronic time :P )

1 comment:

PJ said...

Anytime, my friend, anytime...

Its a terribly convicting quote, isn't it?

And from what I can pick up from over here, it sounds like you are really making an (positive!) impact in people's lives right there in Kamloops. Good work :)