No Reserves - No Retreats - No Regrets

Monday, January 28, 2008

A lesson failed, a lesson learned.

[written in my journal as it happened]

I'm sitting here in Tim Hortons, all alone.
I came here to think, to get away from the crowds.

As I sit, a tall handsome guy stands in line. Beside him slouches what looks to be a homeless man- overgrown beard, unclean smell, ragged clothes. Instantly my mind begins to prejudge.
"What's he doing in here?" "Probably one of those guys who comes in here 20 times a day to get a cup of water" "I wonder how many times he's been kicked out of here" I see him look longingly at the donuts and I wonder for a second when he last had a treat like that.

I turn my attention to the "handsome guy". He stands tall, like he's sure of himself. Blonde hair pokes out from some name brand hat. He's adorned in other name brand clothing and his blue eyes sparkle with a mischievous and flirtatious glow. "One of those guys eh" "He probably has some hot girlfriend, who he lives with, and - "

My thoughts and judgements are interrupted by the cashiers firm voice.
"Um excuse me," She's looking directly at the scruffy man. You can tell what's coming. He's definatly not supposed to be here. He looks unsure for a moment, but then the young man breaks in.
"Actually, he's with me."

I can't help but staring now. I watch as my lesson of the day (or maybe year?) unfolds. The young man buys the homeless man a hot drink and his choice of donut - a boston creme.

The scene only lasted a couple of minutes, but that's all that was needed.

The two strangers parted ways with a "cheers" and a nod. The young man walked by me on his way out, and as he did, it was like Jesus was walking by me, I could see God's Love, God's Heart, and God's Hands right there in front of me. And it was like He reached out, grapped my heart, and whispered,

"Here's to your judging, uncompassionate, and closed heart... I forgive you, love you, and want to give you more chances - now, go and serve my people."

Just like that.
Lesson failed. Lesson learned.

3 comments:

Alex H. said...

Oh wow, Liz that was.....i cant even put a word to it. But its interesting you got that, because really, that sorta happend to me tonight, in a different sorta manner mind you. But it is truly amazing how God works sometimes, and right when you think your falling to much, he comes and slaps you on the back and looks you straight in the eye and you know then that he is real.

-ace-

PJ said...

Awesome story...its hard facing your faults head on like that.

Becks said...

you need to blog again liz. =P